Share this Property
Seven Key Things to Consider When Choosing a Quality Retirement Village
Because new retirement-living options are popping up all the time, it can be a challenge to decide on the best place to spend your golden years.
Chris-maree Wilson, Sales Manager at Bellarine Springs has put together the following brief summary of key things to consider when looking for a quality retirement village….
1. Community facilities and activities: Compare what different villages offer in terms of communal facilities and activities. Is there a modern community centre with lounge and dining areas? What about recreational facilities like a pool, gym, bowling green, veggie garden and a barbecue area? Is there an activities calendar for events, outings, hobbies and fitness classes? Bellarine Springs has these types of facilities, and if the village you’re considering does too, there’s a good chance the community is active and friendly, and you’ll never have a reason to be lonely or bored.
2. Transparency: Reputable villages, such as Bellarine Springs, will provide clear information about their financial structures, and take the time to answer questions and explain the paperwork. Ask for a factsheet at each village, to help you compare ‘apples with apples’. A reputable village will give you all the time and space you need to make a decision, and encourage you to seek independent, expert advice from a solicitor before signing anything. If you feel pressured to sign anything before you’re ready, walk away.
3. Village management and rules: Before you pick a village, find out about the reputation of the operator and village manager, as well as the village rules. Talk to residents and find out about any restrictions that might affect you, such as whether you can have pets. Bellarine Springs welcomes well-behaved pets, but many villages don’t, so it’s important to check. Ask whether friends and family can stay with you and use the facilities when they visit. The more you know, the easier it will be to make a well-informed decision.
4. Location: When deciding on a village location, consider whether it’s close to family, friends and all the facilities you might need, including shopping, entertainment, libraries, churches, clubs and services, such as hairdressing, medical centres and allied-health providers.
5. Privacy, safety and security: The homes in good villages, like Bellarine Springs, have features such as quality security doors, fencing and/or key-card access. Check that the village is well lit at night, and has security systems in place, such as 24-hour emergency call systems, as well as CCTV. Living in an established, friendly community also means staff and residents will be on the lookout for you and your home, including collecting your mail while you’re away.
6. Your new home: Reputable villages offer well-appointed quality-built brick homes designed to minimise maintenance, while maximising light, space, independence, security and privacy. At Bellarine Springs we also happily maintain your front garden and all the common areas – but you can chose to maintain your own front garden, so you can give it your own special touch. Also check whether you can change your home to fit your tastes.
7. The future: Reputable villages, such as Bellarine Springs, ‘future proof’ their residences and facilities, for example by excluding stairs from their designs and including ‘easy-on’ tapware, non-slip floors, and much more. Good villages also have rooms for visiting health providers, making it easy to access extra care as you get older.
To find out more about Bellarine Springs, please call Chris-maree Wilson on 5253 0111.